Ropa Vieja is a traditional Cuban dish, usually prepared with flank steak and served with yellow rice and tostones, fried banana or plantain. This version uses chicken, but the same technique and ingredients can be used with beef.
Pollo Ropa Vieja
2- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1- medium carrot, diced
1- stalk celery, diced
1- small onion, diced
1- clove garlic, diced
2- medium tomatoes, diced
1- bay leaf
3-4 whole peppercorns
1- small red pepper, diced
• In medium size sauce pan heat the tomato, carrot, celeey, onion, garlic and spices.
• When the vegetable mixture is simmering, add the chicken breasts.
• Cook on low for at least 1 hour.
• Using two forks, shred the chicken in the pot.
• Continue to cook uncovered until most of the water has evaporated.
• Add the peas and red pepper.
• Serve when the peas are just cooked.
Sent from my iPhone